January 16, 2017
There will be a march in Seattle also. The press release for this march is HERE.
For those who can not make it to Washington DC there is a Washington State Women’s March that will take place on the 21st in Olympia at 10:00AM. There is a Facebook website set up for information HERE.
It is the hope that this will send a clear message to the President Elect on his first day in office that his campaign rhetoric was unacceptable. We will be watching and will do all that is necessary to make sure women are given the respect and equal rights we deserve.
The Women's March in Washington DC and over 270 Sister Marches are happening across America and the world on Saturday, January 21. Join us, and let our voices be heard. March on the 21st!
Posted by Women's March – Around The World on Thursday, January 12, 2017
• The march is on January 21st. The meeting place is at the Tivoli Fountain at the WA State Capitol Grounds (416 Sid Snyder Ave SW, Olympia, WA 98504) The Tivoli Fountain is close to Capitol Way S.
• The rally will start at 10:00 am with several speakers and then by 10:30, we will start our march. In order to avoid missing some of this event, you may want to arrive by 9:30.
• The march will be .5 miles out and .5 miles back. We will end at the Legislative steps where we will have a couple more speakers and take a picture on the Legislative stairs.
• The route will start with a downhill incline, which means there will be an uphill incline on the way back. The roads will be completely blocked for us. We get the STREETS! Since it is an out and back march, you can turn around at any time and head back.
• We will have a few march options for people who have disabilities and may not be able to complete part of or all of the march. We are working on these options and will get them back to you within very, very soon. There will be a place for everyone!
• A local band has graciously offered to play for us during the march. Artesian Rumble Arkestra will create a fun, uplifting environment of music during our march. Please check them out at: http://oly-wa.us/ArtesianRumble/
• We will not post the entire route per request of the city and other organizers. However, the route is NOT on Capitol Way S. They will be experiencing road closures and construction, and we did not want to risk people’s safety.
• We are fine tuning the last portion of our speakers. Check back later to see who will be speaking and what organizations will be involved in our march.
TRANSPORTATION AND PARKING
• There are over 600 visitor parking spaces available to visitors. Since it is on a Saturday, parking will be free.
• We have created a carpooling FB page for those who want to ride together. We have put it together for our marchers convenience. The link is: https://www.facebook.com/WMOCarpooling/?fref=ts.
• THE ORGANIZERS WILL NOT BE MONITORING OR PARTICIPATING IN THIS PAGE.
• You will also find a map of the Capitol parking options on this page.
• Here is the link to the city bus system: http://www.intercitytransit.com/
• Unfortunately it doesn’t appear that DASH will be running at this time.
• There will be two port a potties (1 regular and 1 ADA) near the fountain for marcher’s use. You may also use the restrooms near heritage park. We were told they may be open by then.
• There are several benches around the grounds but if you want to have a place to sit while waiting, please bring your own folding chair with your name on it.
• We will have extra signs for people who may not have one. Please check our FB page for future sign-making parties. The local NOW organization has graciously donated materials. The next poster-making party will be on Thursday, January 12th @ 5:00-6:55 pm at the Lacey Library.
• If you have questions on the day of the march, organizers and volunteers will be wearing hot pink armbands. Look for them to answer your questions or if you need help.