|From Virginia to California, you’ve been making the most of Payback Recess at town halls and die-ins across the country to hold the House accountable for the shameful vote to pass TrumpCare—and we’re pretty confident the Senate has taken notice too and will think twice before passing this appalling legislation.
But when it comes to the Trump administration, there’s never just one disaster in the works at any given time—and the latest one this week was a doozy. Trump’s firing of FBI Director James Comey, who was leading the investigation into the administration’s ties to Russia, is pushing our country toward a constitutional crisis. If we care about the future of our democracy, it’s essential that we don’t let this despotic act stand. This week, it’s time for your local group to get angry.
No matter how long your group has been around or how many members it has, your leadership as an organizer in this movement is critical to keeping your local group informed, engaged, and energized. Thank you for everything that you’re doing locally to keep your Members of Congress accountable. Here’s everything you can use to start preparing for the coming week.
Top Indivisible Priorities this Week
In Case You Missed It
Although our top two priorities this week are pushing for a Russia investigation and continuing to defend the ACA, there’s always a lot going on in Congress. If you and your group have got time for some more conversations with your MoCs’ offices, here are a couple more topics worth bringing up:
New Resources for Indivisible Groups
We’ve been adding a ton of new resources and tools this week to help you and your group keep standing indivisible in new and creative ways, and we want to make sure you don’t miss any of it! Here’s all of our latest materials in one place:
- Group leader how-to: How to hold your meetings safely! Our new resource this week offers suggestions on how to assess the security environment and risks when holding your Indivisible meetings and steps to deal with the main types of disruptions. Don’t be alarmed: the vast majority of our groups have not reported experiencing these problems. But having a plan in the event that you do in the future will help if you do encounter any of these challenges.
- Mobilize phone app: We hope you’re already using Mobilize to connect with other Indivisible group leaders across the country. If not, now is a great time to sign up—especially since it’s now available as an iPhone app.
- Adopt-a-District: You’ve been telling your MoCs how important it is for them to hold a town hall to defend their vote on health care, but some of them seem to be set on hiding from their constituents. With the Adopt-a-District Guide (created by the Indivisible Project, Center for American Progress, Organizing for Action, Progressive Change Campaign Committee, and Town Hall Project), you can connect with a neighboring district whose MoC is willing to step in and help out—or, if your MoC voted no, you can connect them to a nearby district that isn’t being heard by their own representative. This strategy is already catching on around the country—check out how your group can make an adopted town hall happen near you: Adopt-a-District Guide.
- Keep holding the House accountable with The Payback Project. Indivisible recently joined with MoveOn, Town Hall Project, and Women’s March to create The Payback Project to showcase your amazing work across the country holding accountable the 217 representatives who voted for TrumpCare. Register your events that target these 217 MoCs; use the toolkit to plan a die-in in your district; and add your pictures, videos, and stories from Twitter and Facebook to the Accountability Wall.
- Introducing the IndivisiBlog: the Indivisible Project now has a blog, featuring in-depth analysis from Indivisible leadership and allies. In our latest post, Indivisible’s Executive Director Ezra Levin reflects on how the Indivisible movement got started and everything you’ve accomplished so far.
March for Truth
We’re calling for a #MarchForTruth on Saturday, June 3, to raise our voices and let our elected leaders know that Americans want answers. The legitimacy of our democracy is more important than the interests of any party, or any President. So, we will rise together to call for a fair and impartial investigation into the Trump administration’s ties to Russia and demand the pursuit of truth.
Marches are being held in more than 50 cities across the country so far. No march in your city yet? Sign up to host one here.
Get Your Indivisible T-Shirt
Yesterday, we launched our online store! We have an active campaign between now and the end of Memorial Day Recess (June 1), where you can grab your exclusive Indivisible shirt. Demonstrate the power you have as a constituent with your actions and your wardrobe.
We hope we’ve given you enough to work with this week, but if there’s anything more we can do to support your group, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. This week, let Congress know that you’re angry and you’re not about to give up—because you’re standing indivisible. Together, we will win.
The Indivisible Team
Please rate the usefulness of this week’s update on a scale of 1-5 with 5 as very useful.
Not at all useful ~~ (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) ~~ Very useful
www.indivisibleguide.com | Donate