A Summary of This Week’s Indivisible Actions:
- Register your August Recess events. Both the House and the Senate are out for August Recess until September. Make sure to register your events here and search for nearby events here.
- Prioritize using our new August Recess policy resources. We have a series of new August recess materials on TrumpCare, Tax Reform, Immigration, the Budget, the Environment, and on Special Counsel Robert Mueller, the person leading the Russia investigation. Check them out here at our new August recess site!
- Get ready to knock on some doors. Get busy canvassing using our new canvass packet and customized flyers to spread the word about Indivisible, your work to hold your members of Congress accountable, and your senators’ vote on TrumpCare.
Dear Indivisible Group Leader,
August Recess is officially upon us, and you’re already making your voice heard while your members of Congress (MoCs) are back home. Check out some of these headlines from town halls and events across the country and it’s only the beginning of five weeks of recess.
This is your biggest chance yet to hold your MoCs to affect the decisions they’ll make and the votes they’ll cast when they head back to Washington DC next month. We’ve got a lot of new resources to help you make the most of this time. Let’s get right to it.
Take action this August.
It’s August Recess! This is going to be our longest and most impactful recess to date. Check out recess.indivisibleguide.com for all your policy, event, and organizing recess needs.
If you haven’t already, spend some time reading through our August Recess toolkit. You’ll find all the instructions you need to plan great canvasses, find your MoCs at public events, and stand Indivisible at town halls. Over recess, we want to show MoCs that constituents will be there at every turn to hold them accountable.
Find time to finalize your group’s plans and register your events here. Registering your events is important so we can track all the great work our groups are doing, and push reporters to your events!
Watch our new video and make yourself heard this August recess.
Indivisible is excited to partner with NextGen America on a video series to give simple and practical tips for constituents looking to make their voices heard. These videos cover some of the most common tools grassroots groups can use to exercise their constituent power this recess. This week, we’re spotlighting how to make yourself heard at public events.
Click here to view all five videos.
Cardboard Cory has been going strong all week across the state and has received great local news coverage!
Hit the doors.
Our newest tactic for August recess is canvassing — both at community events and going door to door. The August recess toolkit includes steps for planning a canvass and a trainer’s agenda, but we have a few new resources to make your preparations even easier.
This canvass packet has all the materials your canvassers will need: a tally sheet, how to, script and a sign-up sheet. Simply print it out, put it on a clipboard, and you’re all set! We also made these new flyers for your canvassers to hand out at events and on the doors. They include a blurb about how your senators voted on TrumpCare (personalized by state!) and a call script on the back so folks can take action on the spot.
Get smart with our new August recess policy resources.
Defeating TrumpCare was an incredible victory–brought about by your constituent power. It was a demonstration of how grassroots resistance can change what is politically possible. We need to keep the momentum going. Trump and his Republican friends in Congress are determined to ram through the rest of their agenda. It’s important that we hold MoCs accountable every step of the way.
Recess is your time. It’s an opportunity to connect with your three MoCs and for them to hear about what matters to you. This August, we hope you’re able to meet with your MoC — if they’re not hiding from you. Here are some suggested issues to talk to them about:
- TrumpCare Accountability – Make sure that TrumpCare stays dead. Hold your MoCs accountable for voting for repeal, and make sure you thank your MoCs if they voted against it.
- Tax Reform – The next legislative priority for Donald Trump and congressional Republicans is to give massive tax cuts to the rich, paid for on the backs of working families. Tell your MoCs that you won’t accept Trump’s tax scam.
- Immigration – Trump continues his multi-pronged attack on immigrant families. There are ways that you can be an ally to immigrants, beginning with urging your MoCs to cosponsor these bills.
- Budget – Remember, Trump doesn’t decide what programs and agencies get funded, but Congress does. Make sure Congress is prioritizing you — and not Donald Trump — as they negotiate the budget.
- Environment – We’ve partnered with Al Gore to bring attention to climate change. Here is a toolkit to help you get engaged locally.
- Preventing Trump from firing Robert Mueller – We need to make sure that Donald Trump doesn’t create a constitutional crisis by firing Special Counsel Robert Mueller, the person leading the investigation of Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. Here’s how you can make sure that doesn’t happen.
Mainers were out last weekend thanking Sens. Collins and King for standing up for them and voting against TrumpCare.
Join us in Atlanta for Netroots Nation, August 10-13.
Indivisible is excited to be partnering with Netroots Nation, the largest annual conference for progressives, happening August 10-13th in Atlanta. This will be the largest Netroots Nation yet, with compelling speakers from government, advocacy, and academia, plus 90 panels, 65 training sessions, multiple caucuses, film screenings and various other special events.
Indivisible will be leading a panel, Making Congress Listen: How to Transform Trump Anger and Movement Energy into Victories on Capitol Hill as well as a training, Standing Indivisible: How to Make Your Voice Heard in Congress.
We have also created our a playlist of sessions that cover a variety of topics and trainings relevant to the Indivisible community. Additionally, we are excited to offer a discount off registration to the Indivisible community.
Thursday was Indivisible CLT’s 24th day straight rallying outside Sen. Tillis’ office!
We’ve got a lot a lot to do over the next month to hold our MoCs accountable on our home turf, and we hope you’ll find time to relax and enjoy your summer in between.
August is your time to shine, and we can’t wait to see what you accomplish.
We hope to see you in Atlanta!
The Indivisible Team
www.indivisibleguide.com | Donate