|Your weekly Indivisible to-dos:
- Support those impacted by the wildfires in Northern California. After more than a week, wildfires continue to consume Northern California. Thousands of homes have been destroyed and more than 40 people have died. Contribute now to the North Bay Fire Relief fund endorsed by Indivisible Sonoma County to support relief efforts.
- Tune in to our Facebook Live TONIGHT at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT. We’re discussing the Trump Administration’s latest revisions to the Muslim Ban and how you can take action this week to declare No Muslim Ban Ever. Like us on Facebook now to get notified when we go live!
- This week’s #TrumpThreatLevel. After withdrawing from UNESCO and moving to decertify the Iran Deal, Trump continued to isolate the US from our allies around the world. Be sure to check out our running list of ways Trump is making us less safe and use it to put pressure on your Member of Congress to call out his warmongering.
- The House is on recess now. Show up and make your voice heard. From demanding Congress combat Trump’s latest sabotage of our healthcare system and pass a clean DREAM Act, to defeating the #TrumpTaxScam, we have everything you need to take action on our October Recess website at recess.indivisible.org.
- The first Indivisible Regional Institute is in TWO WEEKS! We’re bringing together Indivisible Group Leaders from across the Southwest on October 28th and 29th to allow Indivisibles to learn from, and collaborate with, one another. But we need your help to make sure we can host 9 more Regional Institutes over the next year. We’ve lined up a donor who will match all donations dollar for dollar — that means if you contribute $23 now, we’ll receive $46!
No rest for the weary, folks. This week, the Senate goes back in session and the House goes on recess for a week. But before we go over your recess to-dos, we want to share an important update about the wildfires ravaging Northern California.
Thousands of firefighters are battling more than 20 wildfires in Northern California. People have lost their homes and livelihoods. And dozens of people have lost their lives. You can read Indivisible Sonoma County’s blog post with action alerts and ways you can get involved.
And you can contribute to the North Bay Fire Relief fund to support those affected by the wildfires.
|Tune in to Facebook Live TONIGHT,
10/16 at 8:30 PM ET/5:30 PM PT
We’ll discuss the Muslim Ban 3.0 and how you can stand up to declare No Muslim Ban Ever this Wednesday, October 18th.
This week’s #TrumpThreatLevel
From insulting allies in just 140 characters and disrespecting international institutions to threatening diplomacy and moving us closer to a new war (take a deep breath), the risk that Donald Trump poses to the security of the United States escalated dramatically this week. (Check out our running list of the ways Trump is making us less safe.)
- Last Thursday, Trump’s Administration decided to pull out of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). This move insults our global friends and partners, and disengages from the world at a time when global partnership is crucial.
- And on Friday, Trump moved closer to war with Iran by announcing he would decertify the Iran nuclear deal. This puts us all in immediate danger, but Congress can stop it: see our new resource here and call your Members of Congress today.
Read Indivisible’s Leah Greenberg and Jen Psaki’s, White House communications director under President Obama, op-ed in USA Today on how Trump’s move to end the Iran nuclear deal makes America less safe.
This week on Capitol Hill
The Senate was on recess this week and the House is on recess now! We know. Do these people ever work? But don’t worry! We have you covered with everything you need to take action over the next week in our latest recess toolkit.
- The #TrumpTaxScam is in full swing. Just as they did with health care, Senate Republicans are attempting to ram through tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires by passing a budget resolution that creates the “rules” for reconciliation (50 Senate votes, plus the Vice President as the tie-breaker). They’ve already passed the bill out of the House and appropriate Senate Committees, teeing up a full vote on the budget resolution. This is the first step in passing the Trump Tax Scam and… we can beat them. Again. Visit www.trumptaxscam.org to find out how you can help stop Trump’s giveaway to the wealthy budgeted on the backs of middle class families.Oh, and if you missed last week’s Facebook Live with the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities talking about the scam and what you can do to stop it, catch up now!
- Congress must pass a bipartisan health care stabilization bill. On Thursday, Trump took two executive actions in his attempt to sabotage the Affordable Care Act and do some of what Senate Republicans were unable to do (twice). First, he issued an executive order designed to siphon healthy people out of the regular insurance markets; then, he ordered that the administration stop making payments to insurers that they depend on to provide financial assistance to low-income consumers. Both actions will result in higher premiums and more uninsured Americans…and will cost taxpayers more than just making sure people can get coverage. Read our explainer, and tell your member of Congress and senators that they must support a bill to protect consumers and stabilize insurance markets.
ICYMI, check out this take on Trump’s sabotage featuring Indivisible’s health care policy manager Chad Bolt.
- We need a clean #DreamActNow. Let’s be clear: DREAMers aren’t bargaining chips for increased detention and deportations, a border wall, and putting a target on undocumented parents. It’s time for your Member of Congress to take a stand. Read our explainer and demand that your representative and senators take the “DREAMer Pledge.”
- Tell the administration: #NoMuslimBanEver. Trump’s third attempt at a refugee ban (adding Chad, North Korea, and Venezuela and removing Sudan) takes effect on October 18. On 10/18, we’re joining dozens of organizations including Asian Americans Advancing Justice, Asian Law Caucus, Council of American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)’s San Francisco-Bay chapter, MPower Change, and MASA Organizing to fight against Trump’s white supremacist agenda and declare: No Muslim Ban Ever. Visit www.nomuslimbanever.com to find what you need to take action.
Help make our first Indivisible Regional Institute happen
A few weeks back, we announced the launch of Indivisible Regional Institutes — two-day, in-person trainings to increase the capacity of, and collaboration between, Indivisible Groups on the ground.
In just two weeks, our first Regional Institute for group leaders in the Southwest will take place in Phoenix, Arizona. And we want to host 9 more Regional Institutes for group leaders in every corner of the US over the next six months — but we can’t do it without your support. Can you contribute $23 now to make sure we can host all 10 Regional Institutes?
We’re beyond excited for our first Regional Institute, but both the number of Institutes we can host, and the number of people who can attend, depends on how much we can raise. And we’ve lined up a donor who will match your donation dollar for dollar to help us get to our goal even faster.
Here’s what your donation will allow us to do:
We have a lot of fights ahead and, through the Regional Institutes, we can build an even stronger, collaborative movement. If you can, please consider donating now to make sure we can host all 10 Indivisible Regional Institutes! Your impact will be doubled by a donor who will match every contribution dollar for dollar.
The Indivisible Team
www.indivisible.org | Donate