|Your weekly Indivisible to-dos:
- The top priority this week is opposing the #TrumpTaxScam. Last week, Republicans in the Senate passed their budget resolution paving the way for tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires. But we can stop them. Visit www.trumptaxscam.org to find call scripts and contact information for your Members of Congress.
- Help Get Out the Vote in Virginia, from the comfort of your own couch! Virginians go to the polls on November 7 in the first statewide election since November 2016. They’ve built a tool for Indivisibles ANYWHERE in the US to phone-bank or text-bank Virginians to remind them to vote. Want to help? Sign up for a volunteer shift now!
- Tune into our Facebook Live TONIGHT, October 23 at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT and #stopthesabotage. We’ll discuss Trump’s latest attempts to sabotage and undermine the Affordable Care Act and how you can fight back. Like us on Facebook now and you’ll get a notification when we go live!
- The House and Senate are back in session. Here are some other issues we need to sound the alarm on: The Alexander-Murray (A-M) bipartisan healthcare compromise (read our A-M explainer here). CHIP still hasn’t been reauthorized (use our resource to tell your MoC to do their job). Lastly, use our resource to put pressure on both Democrats and Republicans to take the DREAMer pledge.
Bonus: Help us stop Trump’s sabotage of the Affordable Care Act. Executive orders. Inaction. Misinformation campaigns. The GOP is using every non-legislative trick they can think of to deter people from enrolling in healthcare. We have a plan to get enrollment resources in tens of thousands of people’s hands, but we need your help. Can you contribute $45 to help us get our resources in 100 people’s hands?
Both the House and the Senate are back in session this week. First on the docket? The scammy, awful, disastrous #TrumpTaxScam.
The #TrumpTaxScam is such a transparent giveaway to the wealthiest Americans that even Treasury Secretary Mnuchin admitted as much in an interview with Politico last week (his exact words? “It’s very hard to not give tax cuts to the wealthy”). The scam would also:
- Disproportionately benefit whites at the expense of Blacks and Latinos (you can read more about that here);
- Slash the corporate tax rate (now’s a good a time as any to bump this great article about American corporations that pay z-e-r-o in taxes);
- Provide a massive giveaway to hedge funds and the Trump organization;
- Threaten Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security (see a theme here?).
Republicans know this bill is bad. Really bad. Unless you’re one of their millionaire donors. That’s why they’re hoping to pass tax cuts using reconciliation — the same process Republicans tried to use to ram healthcare through with only 50 votes (with Vice President Pence as the tie-breaker vote). Last Thursday, the Senate passed a budget resolution that unlocks the reconciliation process. And the House will likely vote this Thursday to pass the Senate resolution, with a committee markup on the Trump Tax Scam likely in the next few weeks.
Yes, seriously. Republicans are calling tax cuts for the wealthy an “emergency.”
For Republicans, the stakes are high. Because you defeated healthcare, the primary legislative goal of the GOP, Republicans feel a lot of pressure to pass their tax scam. Their millionaire and billionaire donors are begging for it (looking at you Koch brothers). Steve Bannon has declared war on “establishment” Republicans. Lindsay Graham even said if they don’t pass tax cuts for the wealthy “that will be the end of us [Republicans] as a party.”
To that, we say: GAME. ON.
Next week, you’ll get an email with resources and new tactics for your home turf events so you can put pressure on your members of Congress (MoCs) to defeat the #TrumpTaxScam. And we are going to need to make our opposition loud.
But for now, tell your MoCs to say no to the Tax Scam through your calls and district office visits — check out trumptaxscam.org for call scripts and contact information.
Get out the vote in Virginia… from your home turf
Virginians go to the polls on November 7 in the first statewide election since 2016. There’s a real opportunity to elect progressives up and down the ballot and to show the power of our movement.
Our rockstar Virginia political team has worked day and night for weeks to build out trainings and support for our 180 Virginia groups (the most of any state in the South!). And, now, they’re rolling out a tool for Indivisibles in any state to phone-bank or text-bank Virginians to get out the vote from the comfort of your own home. All you need is a computer with an internet connection and a comfy place to sit for two hours!
Here are the details:
Who: Indivisible’s Virginia team, Virginia Group Leaders, and you!
What: Virtual text-banks and phone-banks to Get Out the Vote (GOTV) in Virginia
Where: On your computer
When: 10/28, 10/29, 11/4, 11/5, 11/6, or 11/7, multiple shifts a day
RSVP to attend a text- or phone-bank now.
This week on Capitol Hill
While the House and Senate were on recess, many of you showed up on your home turf to let your MoCs hear about issues you care about — like your opposition to Trump’s Muslim ban or massive tax cuts for the wealthy. Now that your MoCs are back in DC, they need to keep hearing from you to make sure they’re doing their jobs. Here are our weekly to-dos:
- Tell your MoCs to take the DREAMer Pledge. What is the DREAMer Pledge? It’s simple: If you have a Republican MoC, ask that they commit to supporting a CLEAN Dream Act. If you have a Democratic MoC, ask that they publicly commit to voting against a December spending bill unless it contains a clean DREAM Act. See our resource for more info and keep calling.
Donald Trump is a national security risk. Here’s this week’s #TrumpThreatLevel:
Trump isn’t taking the deaths of American service members seriously. On October 4, four American service members died in Niger. It took Trump 12 days to comment publicly on the soldiers’ deaths, and when he was asked about the deaths at a press conference, he resorted to falsely accusing former President Obama of not calling families of the fallen. Senator McCain, when asked if he felt the administration was being forthcoming about the incident, simply responded: “No.” Americans deserve to know the facts about what happened in Niger and what American troops are doing there in the first place.
Read our full assessment of the #TrumpThreatLevel here.
Help us #stopthesabotage of the Affordable Care Act
Last week, we came up with a plan to #stopthesabotage. It’s no secret: Trump is trying to sabotage the Affordable Care Act (ACA). But we can fight this. And we have a three-part plan:
- Our whip-smart policy team is creating resources on how the ACA works and how to help get people enrolled nationwide.
- Our field team will work with our 6,000 Indivisible groups (in EVERY congressional district!) to develop campaigns to get these resources in the field.
- Our communications team will run digital ads to get this information and new resources in the hands of tens of thousands more people.
This work wasn’t part of our plans and wasn’t in our budget. But we knew it was important. And in just 24 hours, we met our initial fundraising goal of $35,000 to get our enrollment resources to 75,000 people. We’re excited and humbled by this outpouring of support and we’ve upped our goal. Can you help us get to $50,000 to get our resources in the hands of more than 110,000 people?
Here’s how your donation will have an impact:
Again, thank you for all you do to resist the Trump Administration from showing up on your home turf to making calls to fueling this grassroots movement with your donations. You are the reason the Trump Administration’s legislative agenda has been ground to a halt. You are the reason we can defeat the #TrumpTaxScam and #stopthesabotage.
We’re grateful each and every day to work with you.
The Indivisible Team
www.indivisible.org | Donate