|Your weekly Indivisible to-dos:
- The House votes on the Trump Tax Scam THIS WEEK, so WE NEED TO KEEP THE PRESSURE ON. Call scripts for House Democrats are here, and call scripts for your Republican representatives are here.
- The best shot we have to pass a clean DREAM Act is as part of the budget in the beginning of December. Demand your members of Congress (MoCs) take the DREAMer pledge TODAY. At DREAMerPledge.org, we’re calling on every member of Congress to refuse to pass a budget that doesn’t include a clean DREAM Act. The sooner we ramp up the pressure, the faster we can win protection for 800,000 of immigrant youth.
- Get started building power ahead of 2018 at Indivisible435.org. Indivisible435 is a bold vision and a comprehensive set of tools for Indivisible groups to build power and expand the electorate in every single congressional district in 2018. Check out our current resources and voter registration tool, and get ready to get to work.
- Join us this Thursday, November 16 at 8pm ET/5pm ET for our latest webinar: Build better teams → get more done → build more power. On our next webinar, you’ll learn how to structure your group to accomplish more and stress out less. Our national organizing team talked with organizational experts to come up with the best guidance possible. RSVP for the webinar here!
Dear Indivisible Group Leaders,
This was a BIG week for Indivisibles. We rallied against the #TrumpTaxScam, saw some of our top targets announce their retirement from Congress, and Indivisibles pitched in to win critical elections in Virginia, Michigan, New Jersey, and beyond (and even won some of their own!).
Now it’s time to keep winning.
THANK YOU to everyone who joined more than 70 actions during the #TrumpTaxScam week of action! Indivisible groups delivered dozens of giant checks and one live chicken (special thanks Indivisible MDI in Maine!) to Members of Congress failing to step up to stop the scam.
The House votes on the Trump Tax Scam Wednesday or Thursday. Republicans want to pass their tax bill so fast that no one knows what’s in it. During Committee mark up this week, Republicans released three different versions of legislative text to make their fuzzy math work and keep everyone confused about what exactly the bill does. But there may be just enough hold outs on the Republican side to slow them down — if we keep up the pressure.
The Senate is right on their tail. Senate Republicans just released a summary of their Trump Tax Scam that’s just as much of a scam on the middle class — and they won’t even let us see legislative text yet. That’s because they’re too afraid of your constituent pressure. The Senate is moving fast too: the Finance Committee begins mark up Monday and a vote on the Senate floor is expected right after Thanksgiving.
We’ve been saying it since the beginning: we can win this fight. But it’s going to take some loud, constant constituent pressure (you know the drill).
How we keep the pressure on. Passing the Tax Scam in the House is the first step in getting it to Trump’s desk — a goal the GOP hopes to accomplish before the end of the year (their donors are demanding it!). Call your Representative and demand that they vote no on H.R. 1, the Trump Tax Scam — call scripts for Democrats are here, and call scripts for Republicans are here.
Get your MoC to take the DREAMer Pledge
This week, we were proud to support our friends at United We Dream in their National Day of Action to protect immigrant youth. Thousands of youth walked out of schools on Thursday to call for a clean DREAM Act — including in Washington DC, where hundreds of students took over every floor the Hart Senate office building!
To stand indivisible means to treat an attack on one as an attack on all. That is why we are calling on Congress to pass a clean DREAM Act in December as part of their must-pass spending bill. Republicans have made it clear they will not include the DREAM Act in the December funding bill, so it’s up to Democrats to play hardball — tell your Democratic Senator to take the DREAMer Pledge and stand up for DACAmented youth.
|Tune in to Facebook Live on MONDAY 11/13 at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT.
Want to know more about Indivisible435, our plan to fight in every congressional district across the country? Our political team will talk about our plans for 2018 and answer your questions live!!
The stunning results from Tuesday night’s elections prove our theory that the progressive movement is energized, locally-led, and unapologetic in rejecting Trump’s style of hate and fear-mongering. And in 2017, we’ve shown that this movement has the energy to change elections and force candidates to reckon with us.
This week we launched Indivisible435, a nationwide electoral campaign advocating for progressive values and candidates in every single congressional district across the country. And the results in Virginia show that we’ve built the power necessary take back the House in 2018, and the Senate and White House in 2020.
How we’ll win with Indivisible435:
- Build impactful groups: Your group will have access to tools, trainings, and strategic guidance to influence elections designed by our expert political team of former Hill staffers, progressive political operatives, and movement leaders.
- Expand the map: You’ve added capacity and energy where progressive and party infrastructure is weak or non-existent, especially in red districts and rural areas.
- Grow the electorate: We will reach and engage communities that have been historically underrepresented in the political process and fight back against voting hurdles.
No one has ever tried an election program this big before — and it’s only possible because of the power YOU have built in your communities over the last year. We’ll be in touch soon with more tools and resources, but here are our guides for Electoral Politics 101, making political endorsements, and Voter Registration 101 to get you started!
New webinar: Team Structure!
To build power, you must build a strong group. The Indivisible national organizing team talked to group leaders across the country, as well as academics who study what makes social change organizations work, to come up with a plan for how to structure your group to be more effective and fun.
When: Thursday, November 16 at 8pm ET/5pm PT
What: Team Structure Webinar
Who: Group Leaders and Indivisible Organizers
You can find all previous webinars at any time on IndivisibleHQ.org. If you haven’t already registered, just go to IndivisibleHQ.org, use the password WeStand1nd1v1s1ble to access the page, and then create your own login.
In other news on Capitol Hill…
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has scheduled a Monday vote to confirm Steven Bradbury for a position at the Department of Transportation. Bradbury is infamous for writing the Bush-era torture memos and should never serve in government again, especially under Trump — use our resource to call your Senator and tell them to vote no on Steven Bradbury.
This week’s #TrumpThreatLevel update:
- Syria signed the Paris Climate Change Accord on November 7, leaving the United States as the only nation that is not a signatory. Climate change is one of the biggest threats facing our communities, and Trump’s isolation of the United States on the issue is embarrassing.
- On Wednesday, while on his trip through Asia, Trump tweeted that North Korea should “NOT TRY US.” Trump’s goading of North Korea is incredibly dangerous, especially since our South Korean allies insist that “another war on the Korean Peninsula must not happen.”
- Trump issued an executive order this past week rolling back some of President Obama’s efforts to restore diplomatic ties, travel and trade with Cuba — widely regarded as a major foreign policy success. Trump now wants to roll back those successes and further isolate the US, just out of spite.
Click here to see our running list of all the ways Trump is putting us at risk.
We’ve been working and worrying together as a movement for almost a year now. Last week we started to win in new ways, and the sense of relief is real. For the rest of 2017 — and so much more in 2018 — we’re going to keep building and keep winning together. You should be so proud of what you’ve accomplished.
The Indivisible Team