|Your weekly Indivisible to-dos (tax scam, tax scam, tax scam):
- Make. a. phone call. NOW. Senate Republicans have combined their Tax Scam with zombie TrumpCare and they need to hear from you. We’ve set up a toll-free number to make it even easier to make a call to stop the scam: 1-855-980-2350. We have Democratic call scripts and Republican call scripts to help guide conversations!
- Schedule a visit to your Senators’ in-district offices ASAP. It’s almost Thanksgiving, but many offices will be open today, tomorrow, and part of the day on Wednesday. We need to show up and we need to be L-O-U-D. Use our organizing toolkit to plan a visit and then register your event here.
Some of your members of Congress will also be making appearances at town halls this week. Make a plan to show up and ask the hard questions.
BONUS: Mark your calendars for next Monday, November 27. Indivisible Group Leaders are scheduling actions at Senators’ offices across the country. We’ll send you an email this weekend with events in your area! You can also search now to see if there’s already an event scheduled in your area.
- Our Co-Executive Director Ezra Levin will be on Facebook Live TONIGHT! Ezra and our policy team will talk about how we kill the #TrumpTaxScam, what we have planned for the day of action, and answer your questions live, on-air. Like us on Facebook now and you’ll get notified when we go live!
- Call fellow progressives in key #TrumpTaxScam target states and patch them through to their Senators. We’re bringing back a super effective peer-to-peer calling tool from the TrumpCare fight so you can take action to stop this bill by reaching out to progressive constituents in Alaska, Arizona, and West Virginia. Get started now.
We have 12 days to stop the #TrumpTaxScam. And the only way we can stop tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires at the expense of the most vulnerable Americans (immigrants, students, the elderly, the poor) is if we make a lot of noise.
By now, you know that Senate Republicans snuck a repeal of the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate into the #TrumpTaxScam. A new analysis from the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation (think the Congressional Budget Office of tax) shows that the bill would mean everyone making less than $75,000 a year would, on average, see a tax INCREASE while corporations get permanent tax cuts.
National, loud, sustained constituent pressure will be the death knell of this bill. Here are the four things we need to do to stop the #TrumpTaxScam-skinny-repeal mess of a bill rolling through Congress:
- Make. a. phone call. NOW. Use our new toll free number — 1-855-980-2350 — to call your Senators. We have Democratic call scripts and Republican call scripts to help guide your conversations with your Senators!
- Schedule a visit to your Senators’ in-district offices ASAP. It’s almost Thanksgiving, but many offices will be open today, tomorrow, and part of the day on Wednesday. And we need to be L-O-U-D. Use our organizing toolkit to plan a visit and then register your event here. We want every Senator to be thinking of your faces when they cast their vote.
- Check to see if your members of Congress are having a town hall this week. If they are, show up and ask questions about how they could possibly support the #TrumpTaxScam and its massive corporate giveaway balanced on the backs of working families (the call scripts are a great start!).
- Mark your calendars for Monday, November 27: a National Day of (#TrumpTaxScam) Action Sit-Ins. Sit-ins played a huge role in stopping TrumpCare once before, and we can do it again. Indivisible Group Leaders are planning actions now and we’ll send you an email this weekend with the closest event in your area! You can also check if there’s an event already scheduled in your area right now.
Your voice will be the difference in this fight. We have to make a ton of noise between now and when the Senate comes back in session on November 27. They could pass this bill just a few days later.
It’s going to take a lot of work, a lot of organizing to beat back this bill. But it’s so, so, so worth it to stop massive tax cuts for the wealthy, to save healthcare for 13 million people, and to ruin Trump and McConnell’s agenda.
|Indivisible events: powered by the Town Hall Project. From healthcare actions to #TrumpTaxScam sit-ins, we rely on the rapid research of Town Hall Project for the latest, most comprehensive list of town hall events and other opportunities to meet your lawmakers face-to-face. Please consider making a donation to them so they can continue this important work.
|Tune in to Facebook Live on TONIGHT at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT
Join Indivisible’s Policy Team and Co-Executive Director Ezra Levin for an important planning session on the Trump Tax Scam and the sit-ins day of action on Monday — tune in at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT to get all the details you need for this key moment.
Stop the #TrumpTaxScam with our proven call tool
We’re bringing back a super effective peer-to-peer calling tool from the TrumpCare fight so those from red states, blue states, and purple states alike can take action to stop this bill by reaching out to progressive constituents in our four target states: Alaska, Arizona, and West Virginia. The calling tool will connect you to a constituent in a target state and give you a script to emphasize the devastating impact of this bill. Then, you’ll ask them to call their Senator on the spot.
It’s super easy. 2,233 Indivisible volunteers across the country dialed 320,552 calls to kill TrumpCare to encourage constituents in Alaska, Arizona, Maine, and Colorado to call their Republican senators and tell them to vote no on Graham-Cassidy. And we won. We can win this time, too, with your help.
This tool will help make the wave of constituent pressure we need to stop this bill once and for all. Get started now.
This week’s #TrumpThreatLevel update:
At the Bonn Climate Change Conference, Trump’s White House pitched mythical “clean” coal, drawing protest and ridicule. Trump once again tweeted an insult at Kim Jong-un. And the Senate confirmed Steven Bradbury, author of the infamous torture memo, to be a top lawyer in Trump’s administration. Read our running list of all the ways Trump is putting us at risk on the IndivisiBlog now.
We’re grateful for you
When our team sits down to our respective tables this coming Thursday, one of the big things we’ll be giving thanks for is you: the incredible people that have stepped up this year. We say it time and time again, but we mean it… we are not the leaders of this movement. You are.
We’ll be in touch a few times over the holiday to prepare for a big week following, but we hope you are getting the time you need to give thanks and be with those you love.
Thank you, deeply, for everything.
The Indivisible Team